Professional Cleanings and Scalings
An important part of comprehensive family dentistry is routine cleanings. Your professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) will be performed by one of our experienced and knowledgeable registered dental hygienists. In addition to a complete dental exam, your appointment will include the following:
- Periodic Diagnostic Examination by your doctor and evaluation of periodic digital X-rays.
- Assessment of periodontal (gum) health.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that accumulates on the tooth surface both above and below the gum line. Tartar can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, colorless film consisting of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. Unless plaque is removed, the bacteria will produce toxins (poisons) that can inflame the gums, leading to periodontal (gum) disease.
- Teeth polishing: Gentle professional polishing removes stains and traces of plaque that remain on the teeth so you can enjoy that “just left the dentist” clean feeling.
Treatment for early periodontal disease
Our hygienists are trained in the early diagnosis of periodontal disease and may assist your dentist or periodontist in more detailed “deep scalings” where indicated.
Click here for our “Periodontal Disease and Treatment” brochure